Destiny Discover
History
School History

School History

Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School began because of an awkward 200 student satellite campus at St. Francis Xavier Elementary School. Since this was not a feasible situation, the Board opted to open a new Catholic high school in the East Hamilton/Stoney Creek area. Cardinal Newman opened in September of 1975 with 275 students at 30 Cromwell Cresecent. As the geographical area around Cardinal Newman developed from rural to urban, its student population began to grow, and by 1989 the school had expanded to an amazing 1500 students. A great number of these students were "housed" in portables, to accommodate the growing population.

At this time it was decided that Newman would become a split campus and Cardinal Newman East Campus took over the building previously owned by Winona High while the school on Cromwell Crescent beacme Cardinal Newman West Campus. Although it was a school that was physically divided, it was united by school Masses, assemblies, athletics, and by the staff and students. For 10 long years staff and students struggled to commute between campuses on their lunch hours and after school. Finally, in 1998 it was announced that the old Saltfleet High School on Grays Road would be demolished and a new Cardinal Newman CSS would be built.

On January 10, 2000, Newman staff and students celebrated the end of 25 years of crowding, commuting, and separation and prepared for and celebrated its new unification. Both campuses and all 1500 students were now together in a new, beautiful building boasting three gyms, a state-of-the-art information centre linked to the Hamilton Public Library, a weight room, a video studio, three auto bays, a cafetorium and more!

Since moving in to the new building on Gray Road, Newman has experienced further growth in its student enrolment. It has an active student community that is rooted in its Catholic faith and this, partnered with the dedication of its staff, parents, and school community, makes Cardinal Newman an excellent place to receive a quality, Catholic education.