FINAL EXAMINATION WEEK 2019: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23 TO TUESDAY, JANUARY 29, 2019 INCLUSIVE
CARDINAL NEWMAN CATHOLIC SECONDARY SCHOOL
Exams & End of Semester 1: January 2019
The following information items are provided so as to assist in the transition from first to second semester. Please read this information carefully and keep this sheet readily available. It is your responsibility to share this information with your parent/guardian(s) and to comply with each item as it may apply to you.
EXAMINATION DAYS & PROCEDURES
• Examinations will take place Wednesday, January 23, 2019 to Tuesday, January 29, 2019 inclusive.
• P.A. Day: Wednesday, January 30, 2019.
• EXAM VIEWING Thursday, January 31, 2019. We will be on NOON DISMISSAL timetable. Students will be able to view final exams as well as course marks. Buses will arrive at 12:15 p.m.
2. EXAM SCHEDULE:
DAY DATE PERIOD Time
Day 1 Wednesday, January 23, 2019 ALL Period 1 Classes 8:30 a.m.
Day 2 Thursday, January 24, 2019 ALL Period 2 Classes 8:30 a.m.
Day 3 Friday, January 25, 2019 ALL Period 3 Classes 8:30 a.m.
Day 4 Monday, January 28, 2019 ALL Period 4 Classes 8:30 a.m.
Day 5 Tuesday, January 29, 2019 ALL Period 5 Classes 8:30 a.m.
3. PUNCTUALITY: Students must be prepared to enter the examination area at 8:25 a.m.
4. COMPLETION OF EXAM: Each student must remain in the exam area and may only leave in the last half hour of the exam. For example, for an exam that is 1.5 hours long, a student may only leave after the full hour. Students must submit the exam and all pertinent materials to the supervising teacher before he/she leaves the exam area. NO exam or part of the exam will be accepted by any teacher once the student has left the examination area. Students writing in an accommodated exam room (Student Success / Resource) must attend and write the exam in the accommodated room.
5. ABSENCE FROM AN EXAM: It is the responsibility of the student to be present for the scheduled exam. A student who is absent from an exam MUST present a medical certificate from a physician to the vice-principal within 24 hours of the exam. The medical certificate must support the absence and must state the date and time for which the student was unable to write the final exam. Otherwise, a mark of ZERO (0) will be awarded.
6. LATE ARRIVALS:
• Up to 60 minutes late: Students may enter the examination area if they are LATE within the first 60 minutes. The student who is arriving late must report to a supervising teacher in the examination area. Extra time WILL NOT be provided and the student will be required to submit the exam at the end of the official time.
• After 60 minutes late: Students must report directly to the Vice-Principal’s office.
7. Cheating on exams is a very serious offence. Any student who chooses to cheat on an exam may receive a zero (0) mark. Personal electronic devices are absolutely not allowed in the exam area. Any student who brings a personal electronic device into the exam area will assume the responsibility of the consequences which include, but are not limited to, interruption of writing the exam, being escorted from the exam area, confiscation of the device, assignment of zero (0) for the exam, and suspension. Non-programmable scientific calculators will be allowed, as per the instructions on the cover page of exam paper.
8. SCHOOL BUS TRANSPORTATION: School buses will be on regular schedules for exam days January 23-29, 2019.
School buses will arrive at 12:15 p.m. on Exam Viewing Day, Thursday, January 31, 2019.
9. CAFETERIA: After Monday, January 21, 2019 cafeteria service will not be available.
PLEASE SEE REVERSE SIDE
10. BOOK COLLECTION: Students are required to hand in the textbooks that were assigned to them by their course teachers at the start of the semester/term. During exam week, books MUST be returned to the appropriate location prior to the exam being written. Students who do not hand in their book must clear up the situation with a vice-principal and make payment for the book(s). A receipt for the owed book will be required to be allowed to write the exam. Students will not be allowed to write their exam unless the text(s) and or materials for the designated course is returned and all accounts have been cleared.
11. OUTSTANDING ACCOUNTS FOR SEMESTER 1:
Students must clear all outstanding accounts prior to the start of exams. This includes the return of all teachers’ materials, textbooks, library books, school equipment (i.e. uniforms). Any item(s) loaned to a student MUST be returned in the condition in which it was distributed to that student. Any lost or damaged item(s) must be paid for and a receipt will be issued. Should it be necessary that a Vice-Principal becomes involved in assisting in this process, further consequences, including but not limited to, fines and/or suspensions, may be necessary. Library accounts must be settled by Monday, January 14, 2019.
12. DRESS CODE FOR EXAMINATIONS:
STUDENTS MUST BE IN REGULAR SCHOOL UNIFORM
Non-uniform items may not be worn or brought into the exam area. Backpacks, coats, carrying cases, etc. ARE NOT ALLOWED in the examination area. Food and/or drink, including water is not allowed in the examination room. Students who are not in school uniform must report to the vice-principal before entering the examination area. School Uniform Supplier is Bombardieri Uniforms, 448 Barton Street East, Hamilton Phone: 905-525-6684.
13. WEATHER/CANCELLATION PROCEDURES FOR EXAM DAY:
If school is cancelled and/or school buses are cancelled for any reason, such as, extreme weather conditions, the exam schedule will resume from where it was interrupted. For example, if school is forced to be closed on Thursday, Thursday’s exams will be written on Friday, Friday’s exams will be written on Monday, etc.
If schools and/or transportation are cancelled, the information and details will be made available on the following Hamilton and area radio stations: CHML 900 AM, CHAM 820 AM, 1150 CKOC AM, K-LITE 102.9 FM, Y108 FM, WAVE FM 94.7 and CHTV Morning Live (Ch. 11) or via Twitter @HWCDSB.
PLEASE LISTEN TO THE ABOVE NAMED RADIO OR TV BROADCASTS FOR DETAILS. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL.
If schools are open and school transportation is operational, exams will run as per the Exam Schedule.
14. GUIDANCE AND STUDENT SERVICES:
Wednesday, January 23- Tuesday January 29, 2019
? Counsellors will be available all week for necessary timetable adjustments beginning at 8 a.m.
? Counsellors will also be available on Thursday, January 31, 2019 for any timetable changes.
15. EXAM VIEWING– Thursday, January 31, 2019:
Period 12:00 Noon Dismissal Schedule
8:00 am – 8:05 am – Prayers/Announcements
1 8:05 am – 8:48 am
2 8:51 am – 9:38 am
3 9:41 am – 10:28 am
4 10:31 am – 11:18 am
5 11:20 am – 12:00 pm
16. The first day of the second semester is Friday, February 1, 2019. Report Cards for semester 1 will be distributed on Tuesday February 5th, 2019 during period 1.